Big Picture: "Skin Game"

This is about the PETA Mario spoof. I advise the weak-of-stomach to proceed with caution.

I’m feeling like this will be the last “super-serious” episode for a little while, because the research I had to do was pretty ghastly stuff and I just don’t need the extra stress for the holidays. Lots of people celebrate New Years Eve/Day; but *I* celebrate January 2nd – the day the world gets back to normal.

20 thoughts on “Big Picture: "Skin Game"

1. Kholdstare says:

Excellent episode, Bob. I can't tell you how much it sucks for me as a vegetarian when people think I'm automatically affiliated with PETA because of it. I hope this video brings some more attention to their villainy.

Way to take a sawn off shotgun shot at PeTA, Bob. I LIKE IT. A LOT. Your videos and points within those videos have been on FIRE as of late.

3. Mads says:

Don't quit your escapist job Bob. You might try to make things work on other shows, and on your blogs but…well, your assertive, smart-ass attitude needs something to offer it resistance, and it gets that on these shows.

I agree with the above two posts: This video f'in works. Penn and Teller made this shit last a whole episode of their bullshit show, you just chewed through it in a matter of minutes, and it is pure nerdrage catharsis.

I don't know why, but I think having full editorial freedom doesn't work as well for you…at least not yet. The storylines are a good constraint to put on your videoes, it clearly makes you excited and means a lot of effort goes into them…but I somehow feel like having something put roadblocks in the way would make you find enginious ways around those, and increase the overall quality.

The storm is certainly there in all your videos, but when it has more direction, like in your escapist videoes? It has a much higher chance of blowing people away.

4. yamato-0 says:

hmmm… speaking of groups with less sketchy operations, I've been looking into the breeding program for the Yangtze giant softshell turtle for a couple years now. I wonder if I should send a few bucks their way.

I personally dislike the notion of animal 'rights'. How can you have rights if you can't ever excersise them via choice? Animals don't have that.

Rather than animal rights, I prefer to think more in terms of human obligation to be humane.

6. TheAlmightyNarf says:

I have mixed feeling regarding the “animal rights” movement in general. I think medical testing on animals has brought us enormous benefits. And, having biological traits indicative of being decedent from predictors, I consider it my evolutionary prerogative to eat as much meat as I like. However, I absolutely agree that we shouldn't be unnecessarily dickish toward animals.

Like “anonymous” above me said, I think it's less an issue that animals necessarily should have rights, but that we should be as kind to animals as we reasonably can be.

That all said, I'm astounded that PETA has any sort of credibility any more. Just about everyone I know who's big on animal rights hates then for dragging the cause through the mud. And it's pretty much common knowledge that more often than not the treat the animals worse then where ever they “rescued” them from.

I think it's about time we all just ignored them and hope they go away.

7. lemonvampire says:

PETA is an incredible example of being so extreme in a viewpoint that you come all the way around to the other side of that viewpoint. They're so extreme about animal rights that they've become one of the most heinously cruel organizations toward animals.

8. Aiddon says:

personally I think PETA should have been convicted of mass animal cruelty YEARS ago. Newkirk is nothing more than a lying, hypocritical, insane, sadistic Berk who deserves to rot in hell. Harsh words, but if there's anyone who deserves them it's her

9. vlademir1 says:

I expected this to show up either here or on GO as soon as I heard about it.

The sad thing for me is that they are, from my POV, right that domesticated animals, on a species level, would be better off had humanity never existed. That said, as humanity is the current dominant species on this planet, there will always be that boundary where human and animal interact and the dominant paradigm is, and for the foreseeable future will be, for human interest to take precedence.

10. Benfea says:

Biomechanical923 wrote:
    “Bob, I agree with you that PETA is horse shit, but I disagree with animal activism.

Human rights trump animal rights every single time.”

I am saying this as someone who really doesn't give a damn about animals one way or another. I do not own pets, nor do I care to. The only time I ever visit a zoo is when I'm with younger relatives.

However, the fact that the well being of humans is more important than the well being of animals does not mean it is OK to abuse animals in any way we see fit.

I have no moral difficulty with a meat processing plants slaughtering animals so that I can eat. I do have a problem with factory farms that commit what amounts to animal torture so that I can eat, because it is possible for me to eat without animals being tortured in such fantastically cruel ways.

11. Anubis C. Soundwave says:

@ vlademir1:

:: “In the modern age the most ethical things any of us can do, in terms of animals, is try our damnedest to minimize our use of products which help susidize large scale commercial fur, meat and dairy production, it being near impossible to absolutely eliminate them from our lives (short producing all the necessities of survival from seed with our own hands, which most of us lack the skills and/or funds to even actually attempt), and treat those animals we have direct contact with in the most humane and respectful manner we can.” ::

That (in bold above), or develop a new stomach that can digest plant matter for the nutrients we currently get from animal meat.

Incidentally: Have I told anyone that I despise PETA? No?

Okay. I despise PETA.

i find it hilarious that PETA chose Mario of all characters as it's target of hate. a fantasy character in a fantasy world wearing a suit with a tail on it, seriously. if they want to hate on somebody and grab headlines, how's about hating on skyrim! in this game (which i love to death mind you) the player is encouraged to and rewarded for:
    1. chasing down furry animals and bludgeoning/hacking them to death.
    2. cooking their flesh over a campfire to replenish my health meter.
    3. tanning their hide/fur to repair my armor.
    4. grinding up bones and other gibbets for use in alchemy experiments.

and they're pissed off over a suit with a tail?